Sunday, September 02, 2007

MM Vol 1 - 044 - Staind


MM Vol 1 #044


Staind

"Outside"

(2001)
.
.
Genre:Alt Rock
Talking about this song is heading towards that "Itchy Scratchy" area of my feelings. This particular album from Staind came out at a time when i was at my Happiest/Saddest time of my lfe back in 2001. 3 songs from *Break The Cycle* seem to echo my thoughts and feelings during this time period "Outside", "Its Been A While" & "Epiphany"
I’m on the outside
I’m looking in
I can see through you
See your true colours
Cause inside you’re ugly
You’re ugly like me
I can see through you
See to the real you
I can remember the way you tasted
I hope one day, someone will understand what this song meant to me.
The title of Staind's sophomore album refers to the misery passed on from generation to generation; specifically, singer Aaron Lewis' family issues. And Break the Cycle is an issues album -- Lewis' therapy session for all to hear. "For You" reads like a final confession from child to parent ("I am f*cked up because you are"), and on the hit single "It's Been Awhile," he sings, "I cannot blame this on my father." Staind wraps up all this pain in deceivingly melodic packages, sort of like Nirvana's "All Apologies" without the depth. Lewis has a Kurt Cobain-like ache to his voice, which makes the more affecting songs -- like the acoustic version of "Outside" -- genuine (or at least appear that way). Cycle is ultimately no more than 50 minutes of standard-issue desolation, but the softness of many of the tracks gives it compassion, something most of Staind's peers have no time for. [The Australian release adds one bonus track: "Outside."] ~ Michael Gallucci, All Music Guide
Break the Cycle is Staind's third studio album from 2001 (see 2001 in music). It is Staind's most successful album to date, and what broke them into the mainstream. It was a huge international success for the band, as it spent several weeks at number 1 position in the U.S. album charts and many weeks in the top 10 album charts of The Billboard 200, the UK and New Zealand. Break the Cycle is similar to its predecessors in terms of heaviness, but also uses much more melody and maturity in terms of songwriting, according to Aaron Lewis. A total of 5 singles were released from this album, "It's Been Awhile", "Fade", "Outside", "For You" and "Epiphany", all of which did reasonably well. There were videos made for each of these songs (some of which can be found on Staind's MTV Unplugged DVD). The first four singles had varying degrees of success in the UK, "It's Been Awhile" charting the highest of the four released in both countries. The album also includes a track called "Waste" dedicated to two teenage fans who committed suicide. [Source:Wiki]
This song has a crowbarred rating of 97.4 out of 108 pts

Search Artist here
1-2-3-A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J-K-L-M-N-O-P-Q-R-S-T-U-V-W-X-Y-Z

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home