Sunday, May 04, 2008

MM Vol 1 - 001 - Black Crowes

The end. art by Viowave

MM Vol 1 #001

Black Crowes

"Good Friday"

(1996)
.
.
.
Genre:Southern Rock
art by misYU
Well, its not really the end, sort of more ... the beginning. It all depends where you come in. Music is the true universal language off all nations, all people and all expressions. Music has no prejudices nor boundaries, it really doesn't matter who your are .... music will affect you in some way or another, it is the quintessential sense of being.
How many dudes have made "mix tapes" to their girlfriend(s) to express how they feel about them because they can't say it in words? Fucking millions.
Well, that is what the "Mellow Mix Volumes" are all about, in a way. To me it was a way to capture a time period and how i felt about certain people that were important in my life, in a way, it became my personal photograph album, just without the pictures, but with sound. Rock stars like Butch Walker from Marvelous 3 (who became a successful producer in his own right) understood this concept, I guess, as he wrote & performed a song called "Mix Tape" which sums it all to well for me.
art by Alinna
In short, Mellow Mix Vol 1 is a collection of songs from the time period 2001 (ish), it came about from the idea of my own "Mix Tapes" that I made on good old cassette tapes from the 80's and 90's. Once the technology arrived in the late 90's for me to record mp3 on CD, well, I couldn't resist. Why 140 songs (approx) on a "Mellow Mix" CD? (700MB) because that was generally the number of mp3's I could fit on a disc. Remember, this was before the now famous ipod hit the market. Even to this day, I still make a "Mellow Mix" 150 songs, even though I play all my songs on the ipod. I do hope you enjoy the "old" music of 2001 and bring back the memories it gave me, albeit, an aching one at that for me, but well worth the journey.
From cassette to CD (wow) The beginning ...
Number One: Black Crowes
With Amorica, the Black Crowes began developing a distinctive sound, shading their Stonesy Southern boogie with a variety of rootsy and psychedelic overtones. But where Amorica was rich with kaleidescopic colors, Three Snakes and One Charm is stripped-down and direct. Sure, it has a punchy, muscular sound that is, if anything, more eclectic than its predecessor, but the production is distressingly monotonous and the songs lack strong hooks. Even with its faults, Three Snakes and One Charm is a winning album, mainly because the Black Crowes' musicianship continues to deepen -- the musical fusions and eclecticism are seamless, particularly from lead guitarist Rich Robinson. Their musicianship would be even more impressive if the songs were equal in quality. ~ [Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide]
The Crowes - as fans refer to them - are listed at #92 on VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock".
This song has a crowbarred rating of 76.8 out of 108

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Search Artist here:1-2-3-A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J-K-L-M-N-O-P-Q-R-S-T-U-V-W-X-Y-Z
By The Year 1955 to 2005:

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home